BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Week 5 : Wikis

I of course have used Wikipedia before but have never really used any other Wikis ( or so I thought), in fact now that I think about it, I have looked at lots of Wikis without even knowing it. The big concern I had with Wikipedia and other Wikis was the fact that anyone could edit them and include whatever they feel like writing, it is great however that you can choose the levels of public or private authorship. After some exploring I love Wikis and can see many different uses for them not only in the Library profession but any. I love the idea of being able to share information without sending email after email. Once again its being able to get all the information you need in one place, making life so much simpler. I love the Book Review Wikis I found and as our Library is always trying to improve our Reader's Advisory Skills I think this may be a great idea for us. We have also just set up 3 and in the process of a fourth Book Club so they would also be very interested in Book Reviews and it would be great even for them to review the books they read for others. Our current Intranet is great and constantly updated so we don't need to replace it but I can see how other organisations would definately benefit from an internal Wiki. :D

0 comments: